Makes 4-6 cups
- ⅓ cup uncooked, long-grain white rice
- 1 cup almonds (or ground almonds)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cold water
- ½ cup concentrated simple syrup (2 parts sugar, 1 part water)
- Pulverize the raw rice in a spice grinder or blender until its a fine powder.
- Put rice, almond and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in the 3 cups of hot water, allow to cool to room temperature then cover and let stand overnight (not in the fridge!).
THE NEXT DAY:
- Put mixture into the blender, add the 2 cups of cold water and blend until it is nice and smooth, it will take at least a minute and up to four minutes.
- Strain the blended mixture slowly into another bowl. Strain a small amount, guiding it through with a spoon, and then discard the stuff that was left behind (don’t be fooled if this stuff looks tasty, it’s really not).
- Make sugar syrup in a saucepan
- Add sugar syrup to rice/almond/water mix.
- Serve over ice. Garnish with cinnamon/cinnamon stick.